During the COVID-19 pandemic, a large number of education and training institutions across the European Union (EU) and beyond had to rapidly switch to online and distance teaching.
Many struggled with the challenges of remote learning, which required the development and application of new skills, tools, resources and pedagogical approaches.
To effectively benefit from lessons learned during this period, including how to use digital technologies to enhance the quality and inclusivity of education and training, requires ongoing planning and monitoring, support, resources and guidance.
The Erasmus+ programme provides funding for cooperation projects that support the digital transformation planning of education and training institutions, including primary and secondary schools, vocational education and training (VET), higher education and adult learning institutions.
The Erasmus+ Teacher Academies are being established to further support the creation and application of digital pedagogies and of expertise in the use of digital tools for teachers, including accessible and assistive technologies.
A new online self-reflection tool, SELFIE for Teachers, based on the European Framework for the Digital Competence of Educators, will also be launched in autumn 2021. This tool will assist teachers in identifying strengths and gaps in their digital competences and to plan further training.
- support the digital transformation plans of education and training institutions through Erasmus+ cooperation projects
- establish the Erasmus+ Teacher Academies to support collaboration and provide professional development opportunities for teachers and educators
- launch the SELFIE for Teachers online self-assessment tool to help (teams of) teachers to collaboratively identify strengths and gaps in their digital competences
- enhanced digital capacity for education institutions
- the provision of professional development opportunities for teachers and educators
- support for teachers to identifying strengths and gaps in their digital skills
Erasmus+ cooperation projects
Funding opportunities for Erasmus+ cooperation projects focusing on digital planning in the fields of school education, VET, adult learning and higher education were launched as part of the Erasmus+ general call (under Key Action 2) in April 2021.
The funding will be made available annually under the annual general call of Erasmus+ until 2027.
Check the Erasmus+ programme guide for more information.
Erasmus+ Teacher Academies
The details of this call are presented in the 2021 Erasmus+ programme guide.
Further information is also available in the recording of the information session from 10 June 2021 about the 2021 call for funding proposals for the Erasmus+ Teacher Academies.
SELFIE for Teachers
- April 2021 – pilot test of the tool in Italy, Portugal, Lithuania, Estonia and Ireland
- May to September 2021 – analysis of data and feedback from SELFIE for Teachers pilot, further development of tool
- October 2021 – launch of tool in all 24 official EU languages
Get in touch
If you are interested in knowing more about this action, you can get in touch with us by email at EAC-DIGITALEDUCATION@ec.europa.eu.
Follow @EUDigitalEdu on Twitter for the latest news and developments on this action and the whole Digital Education Action Plan.
Header image: © European Union, 2021.