Skip to main content
European Education Area home page European Education Area home page

European Education Area

Quality education and training for all

Research opportunities

Europe welcomes you!

The European Union has ambitious plans to grow its research industry over the next decade. There were 1.58 million full time equivalent researchers in the European Union in 2009. Over the next decade, the EU is actively looking to attract an additional 1 million researchers!

As one of the world’s leading research centres, Europe offers you fantastic opportunities if you want to study, work or build your career here.

The European Research Area

The European Research Area is a unified area open to the world. The idea is to remove barriers so that researchers can move freely within Europe, get better access to jobs and funding, and concentrate on their research. Watch the short film below or visit the European Research Area website to find out more.

European research opportunities, jobs and funding

EURAXESS is the European Union’s website for researchers wishing to pursue their research careers in Europe. The EURAXESS website brings you essential information about European research opportunities - covering funding, fellowships and advice on planning your move. You can also search through over 40000 jobs per year in universities, research institutes and industry across Europe!

As well as the main EURAXESS website, there are individual websites for 40 countries in Europe, providing more detailed information about each country.

Funding for research and innovation projects

You can find out lots about research funding and scholarships via the EURAXESS website mentioned above. In addition, have a look at the Study in Europe Scholarships and costs page.

Visas for non-European researchers

Do you need a visa to study in Europe? Each country in Europe has its own visa and immigration system. In the Country profiles section, you can see a link to visa information for each of the 33 Study in Europe countries – alternatively, visit the European Union Immigration Portal.

If you are a science researcher, there is an additional option. The Scientific Visa helps researchers obtain permission to enter, stay and work in European Union Member States for the purpose of carrying out scientific research. Participating EU member states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.