European Digital Skills Certificate (EDSC)
Digital skills are indispensable – for learning, for working and in everyday life. A rapidly changing, technology-driven economy and society require everybody to have digital skills.
But often digital skills get lost in translation within Europe, due to the existence of a large diversity of digital skills training and certification schemes produced by multiple organisations and governments.
This is why the European Commission is exploring the development of a European Digital Skills Certificate (EDSC) to help people have their digital skills quickly and easily recognised by employers, training providers and more.
The EDSC will be based on the European Digital Competence Framework (DigComp), which continues to be updated so that citizens can keep pace with the acquired digital skills in a fast-moving digital world.
The European Digital Skills Certificate, which will follow an agreed set of quality requirements, aims to enhance the transparency and mutual recognition of digital skills certification by governments, employers and other stakeholders across Europe.
It should allow people to indicate their level of digital competence corresponding to the DigComp proficiency levels and encourage individuals’ to acquire new digital skills.
The EDSC supports the ambitious objectives of the European Skills Agenda:
- ensuring that 70% of 16-74 year olds have at least basic digital skills by 2025
- the Europe’s Digital Decade target of a minimum 80% of the population with basic digital skills by 2030
- feasibility study exploring scenarios for the European Digital Skills Certificate
- design and pilot of a European Digital Skills Certificate (EDSC), which is recognised and accepted by governments, employers and other stakeholders in Europe
- spring 2021 – launch of the Digital Skills and Jobs Platform with training opportunities for digital up- and reskilling
- summer 2021 – launch of the tool for the self-assessment of digital skills through the Europass portal
- September 2021 – examining feasibility, consultation and developing the concept together with stakeholders
- September 2022 – EDSC pilot prototyping
- 2023 – EDSC launch and full operation
Further information on Digital Competence Certification can be found on the All Digital website.
This action is funded via the EU’s Erasmus+ programme.
Get in touch
If you are interested to know more about this action, you can get in touch with us by email at