Research opportunities in Europe
Europe offers considerable opportunities for existing and young researchers from around the world to study a PhD, a post-doctorate degree and to work as a researcher.
Some points to keep in mind when applying for PhD and postdoctoral studies in Europe
- You should have a Master’s or equivalent degree to apply. In some cases, a bachelor’s degree is sufficient.
- Make sure you have a unique research proposal or know how your work can contribute to existing research in a field.
- Generally, it takes a minimum of 4 years to complete a PhD in Europe, although there are 3- and 5-year programmes available, as well as part-time options.
- Fees are typically low or non-existing and good grant possibilities are often offered by host countries, the European Union (EU) and other organisations. You may also be able to gain employment as a researcher during your doctoral studies.
- The diversity of opportunities is matched by a system of qualification recognition and credit transfer, meaning that your degree will be internationally recognised and accepted by all countries with an ENIC-NARIC network.
- After a PhD, you can pursue postdoctoral work. These positons are somewhat more difficult to obtain and in many cases the researcher will have to provide the funding for his or her research.
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
Candidates who are actively seeking a paid postdoc position may seek funding via the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA).
MSCA is the EU’s reference programme for doctoral education and postdoctoral training under Horizon Europe.
The MSCA foster inter-sectoral and international research. Funding is open to organisations, consortia and individual applicants.
To learn more about the different types of funding available and to apply for a relevant job, follow the link to visit the page About Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions.
EURAXESS is a European Commission portal providing information on research positions and funding to help researchers come to Europe to work, work in another European country or beyond. People use it to find a position or funding.
To take advantage of this information and search for your job in research, just follow the link EURAXESS.